Amendments to Approved Document B
Added on February 3rd, 2021
By Bijan Fard
On 26th May 2020, both volumes of Approved Document B: Fire safety (2019 edition) were amended.
- Volume 1 – Dwellings
- Volume 2 – Buildings other than dwellings
- Blocks of flats with a floor over 11m will require the provision of sprinklers throughout
the building (change in guidance in relation to Building Regulation requirement B3
Internal Fire Spread – Structure).
- Blocks of flats with a floor over 11m will also require wayfinding signage to assist the
fire brigade with consistent signage for floor identification and flat indication (change
in guidance in relation to Building Regulation requirement B5 Access and facilitates
for the Fire Service).
How does this apply to you project?
- The amendments will apply to buildings that contain flats with a floor over 11m that
are newly erected, are formed by a material change of use, are extended or have
material alterations carried out.
- The use of alternative guidance such as BS 9991 may now not be deemed as
meeting the functional requirements of B3 and B5.
- There are also expected changes later this year, relating to new evacuation alert
systems, for use by the Fire Service, in flats over 11 metres, as well as amendments
to Regulation 7.
You can view/download the full Approved Document B amendments published by the Government by clicking here